Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kleinM95
kleinM95 New Member • Posts: 4
Canon EOS 90D from a hobbyist's perspective

I bought the 90D after months of research. My requirements were:

• current EyeAF for family pictures
  • didn't want to spend a ton of money (up to 2000€ for a camera with two lenses)
  • preferably good lens system, thats not to expensive and allows to have a big travelzoom

I looked at the Sony A6300, Fuji XS-10, Canon EOS RP but every camera had a drawback for me. Especially the lack for a dslm travelzoom like a 18-300 (at this time) and the prices for lenses, which always blowed up my budget.

After a few months with the 90D I'm very happy with my choice for following reasons:

+ Bodysize: The big body fits comfortably in my hand, and even heavy lenses are easy to handle

+ Sensor: The big sensor lets you crop a lot without noticable drop in quality.

+ Ergonomics: The position of all buttons and dials are logical for me and after a short time I was able to control the camera without checking first where the desired button is.

+ Batterylife: Just awesome. I shot 500 pictures in one day and still had about half of the batterylife left over. But i guess it strongly depends on how much you use the LifeView.

+ Display: The touch display is fast, responsive, and you can fully control your settings with it.

+ Silent shutter in LifeView: At first I didn't know the 90D has this feature. It's awesome for taking pictures in silent. For example when my kids are playing and i dont want to disturb them and the atmosphere.

+ lens system: I'd say the EF/EF-S system is fully developed, you can get every lens type you'd want. And you can buy used cheap EFs lenses or go with a new pricy Canon EF L. The choice is yours.

Of course they're a few negative points to consider:

- Weight: Running around a whole day with the 90D can be exhausting. I bought a hand wrist strap, so i can relax my fingers when I'm not taking pictures. It works really well for me.

- EyeAF only in LifeView: Of course I knew this drawback before buying.

- Sigma lenses firmware: In the past I made good experience with Sigma, so I bought the 18-300mm and the 30mm F1.4. After months I noticed that the pictures I shot while using the OVF are constantly overexposed, in LifeView everything was fine. After research it turns out, that a lot of Sigma lenses have this issue with the 90D. Therefore I bought the Sigma dock and updated the lenses. But the overexposure continued, so I had to send the lenses to Sigma to fix this problem. Sigma customer service ist great though.

kleinM95's gear list:kleinM95's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sigma 18-300 F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS | C
Canon EOS 90D
33 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Aug 28, 2019
kleinM95's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 90D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow