I wish Sony would make a stills only camera.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,497
Re: I wish Sony would make a stills only camera.

Hi,

while I shared this view until some years ago I had to learn that the idea is based on a fundamental misconception that today's cameras would (still) have essentially "photographic genetics". They however don't but are essentially video devices , only in the housing of what used to be (more or less) still photo cam.

Of course the stills-extraction of the "video device" is improved over pure video cams but video still remains the core technology. IAW no photo device w/o video technology so not much sense in elimination of the (to many appealing) core-video-technology. So to say, the photocentric gets his/her device at a lower price because it appeals not only to them (lower R&D); larger selling numbers gets better returns and distributes R&D costs.

And for pure usage purposes, if one doesn't want video it can be disabled (though it might be interesting to connect menu entries to the position of the video-still-switch to get distinct menus for either of the working areas, not just greying out)

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow