I wish Sony would make a stills only camera.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,166
price is irrelevant for cameras - what matters is T.C.O.

pollup wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Jared Weber wrote:

Sony could get rid of all the fancy video features and focus the camera purely on photography. I would love to see Sony do this one day.

But you haven't said how much you'd be willing to pay for it. You and a relative handful of other people would probably be the only buyers, so expect it to cost a lot.

The irony is beautiful.

It's obvious Jared just wants a cheaper camera, but if Sony were to listen to him, he would get an A7iv "stills only" version for $3500. That's about how much it would have to cost in order to make sense business wise since such a camera would cut more than half of the potential buyers.

Ironically, if you want the camera to be cheaper, you WANT it to have a lot of video features because it would attract more buyers and therefore could be produced in larger quantities which lowers the production cost through Economies of scale.

At the very least, you should celebrate that it has those features, because that's what allows Sony to keep the cost down.

Total Cost Of Ownership - buying plus maintenance - income - selling price

The cost for buying stuff is only a small portion of the total price payed.

Sold all my canon gear for a good deal for the former purchasing price - good investment.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow