Comparing electronic flash to LED lighting

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 333
Re: Comparing electronic flash to LED lighting

Ellis Vener wrote:

KE_DP wrote:

1/30th or 1/60th second and a fixed ISO, using the LED light source at full power determine the right f-stop for a good exposure.

Only reading through quickly but this caught my eye - why such slow shutter speeds? For something like portrait photography, it takes a faster shutter - especially hand held. I have some LEDs arriving this week to experiment with.

why 1/60th or 1/30th because at shorter shutter-speeds?
It’s not about banding; any decently made LED light made for motion or still photography is going to be flicker-free.
1/60th appears to be the point where the advantages of both types of constant light and flash are closest to each other. A longer exposure favors the constant light and a shorter exposure (up to the x-sync limit of most cameras).

I shoot a lot of beauty and fashion images with LED and Tungsten constant lights as they have some distinct advantages over Flash. Essentially if I can get away with an aperture of 2.8 or below, I will use a constant light.

The Canon R5 is very good at ISO 400 in terms of dynamic range and noise, so that opens the doors slightly wider in terms of exposure settings.

For reference…

300 watt Aputure Nova LED as a key through 6’ x 6’ heavy diffusion ‘magic cloth’, or bounced off a 3m x 3m muslin will give an exposure around F2.5, 1/200, ISO 400. A second similarly powered panel can then be used as fill which helps the exposure further. Usually 1/160 Is as slow as I will go for shutter, because I like the subject to be able to move a little bit more freely. 1/60 or 1/30 would make the movement in the shoot become a bit disjointed and may hurt the flow of the shoot.

This is close to worst case scenario in terms of how much you are diffusing the light… and even so, the settings are more than useable to make a compelling image.

For me I would always suggest 300 Watts and above for any LED source you are looking to diffuse heavily. For something that you will be using directly on the subject as a hard light. 100 watts and above is quite useful.

I am excited for the new Aputure Nova P600c as that level of power may mean I can sell of my flash equipment.

Of course none of these quality lights are cheap! If you plan on using the light diffused then an RGBWW panel would always be my suggestion… being able to fine tune green/magenta shift is quite important for perfectly matching the tints of other sources in the environment.. then you also get complete freedom with saturated colours to help add interest or change the colour of a background. Super handy!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow