Any Method to Improve Details from a K-5

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nayr Forum Member • Posts: 74
Any Method to Improve Details from a K-5

I've had this K-5 since new and I've always been a bit disappointed by the level of detail in pictures taken with it.  The camera pretty much lives with a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens mounted to it.  The lack of detail doesn't seem to be a lens dependent problem.  I have a couple of newer and older lenses that behave about the same.  High ISO definitely makes it worse, but it's also evident at base ISO outdoors.  I haven't found it to be a front/back focus issue either.  It's focusing where it should, it's just that the images lack detail.  I find it really annoying that my little (and cheap when I got it) Panasonic GM1 seems to extract more detail even at higher ISO. Processing the Pentax images from raw helps a little but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to (I don't enjoy it).  Am I (was I always) expecting too much from the K-5?  Is there something I may have overlooked in setting it up?  Or is there anything I should try to improve the detail output from the K-5?

As an example, here's a difficult subject shot with the Pentax (cropped a bit):

And the same subject taken with the Panasonic GM1 and 42.5 f/1.7 lens:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow