Sony a6600 ? a7c?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kaitlyn Contributing Member • Posts: 561
Sony a6600 ? a7c?

Context: Previous shot all canon, last was Canon 5D Mark IV with all L-quality glass. Did a bunch of commercial work but that slowly transitioned to more casual/hobby photography. Sold my 5D+lenses earlier this year. It was expensive, big, and heavy, to bring along on my outdoor adventures. I now want to get a new camera to bring along with me (trail running, hiking/backpacking, backcountry skiing, etc.) and ideally both weight and size wouldn't be too much.

The a6600 plus the brand new sigma 18-50 sounds like the perfect setup, maybe bringing along a small wide angle prime for those times I want wider. And then a telephoto which I might only bring sometimes if I expect to use it. I guess the biggest concern is just the relatively ancient APS-C technology with software enhancements but same sensor, etc.? Plus having shot full frame for sooo long, I definitely worry about being disappointed by crop.

So then there is the a7c - full frame if I want to/need to stick some really quality glass on there. Similar size/weight to the a6600. Really like the tilting screen as a lot of shots will be portrait orientation, and won't always be able to use viewfinder. BUT the viewfinder is... so sub-par. :(. Plus, yeah the camera is smaller but full frame glass is still bigger + heavier - so the whole setup is a bigger step up.

Both seem to offer leading AF tracking for both humans and animals, which is becoming increasingly important to me.

Are there any real differences between their overall build quality/weather sealing/etc.?

How would you pick between the two, ASSUMING price was the same? I guess the A7 IV isn't totally out of possibilities either, but from starting off looking at the a6400, the a7 IV is already 50%+ heavier for just the body.

Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow