Would I be mad to move from the A7RII to A7IV?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 12,116
Re: Would I be mad to move from the A7RII to A7IV?

Docno wrote:

The A7R was my first mirrorless, then I quickly moved up to the A7RII. I skipped the A7RIII because it felt more like an incremental upgrade. The A7RIV was tempting, but I ended up holding back because I felt I didn't need all those megapixels (even though I now have the hardware to deal with it). So the A7IV comes along and I'm in a quandary. My A7RII is feeling long in the tooth, and the A7IV would be a massive step up in terms of AF, menus, rear LCD, handling, etc etc., but I'd be giving up those megapixels. I don't print large, so I don't have a rational argument for this concern, but I do enjoy pixel-peeping ... I still get a 'wow factor' from seeing the detail the A7RII can pick up.

Anyone else considering this move? Any chance I'd be disappointed?

Re my primary use: before the pandemic, it was mostly travel -- I live in SE Asia, so there are lots of interesting places a short plane ride away. But with all the travel restrictions in place, it's mostly casual portraiture (meaning my wife, as in the shots here). Waiting for things to open up again...

Thanks

Not mad, it's a personal choice.

The A7iv is a much snappier camera with a much faster (and more precise) AF (with proper lenses) and high ISO (also HDR), etc.

Will it beat the 'silky' rendering of the A7rII? Doubtful, not at all in the style of your example images.

You will need new batteries, and you will need to update LR, etc., and you go from 42Mp to 33Mp, which is not a big deal unless you crop a lot.

For dogs, kids, sports, some telephoto applications, the A7iv is a more rewarding camera. But there will be an A7v, A7vi, and so on. You will have this question each time.

Since you didn't upgrade to the A7rIV, I doubt that you will need the A7iv, however, between the A7rIV and the A7iv, I can understand why people prefer the A7iv.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7R II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +35 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jay
Jay
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow