GRIII First Impressions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Starny Contributing Member • Posts: 813
GRIII First Impressions

I just bought and received a Refurbished "Street Edition" directly from Ricoh.

I am usually apprehensive about buying refurbished products from manufacturers because I believe they all use varying criteria to determine what quality warrants resale.

With regard to the GRIII I got from Ricoh that standard appears to be very high. The camera appears to be in excellent to like new condition.

It came in a box with a "Refurbished" sticker on it and I received all items that a new one would come with including a wrist strap, two batteries, two lens rings, power adapter, owner's manual, and a technician check list certifying all functions and software update.

Ricoh includes a 90-day warranty but only a 14-day window for returns, which seems a bit short.

So first impressions:

-The camera body is slightly smaller than I thought it would be but not by much, and the color of the Street Edition was exactly what I thought it would be. I immediately replaced the orange lens ring with the black one. It now looks stealthy street!

-The menu system is fairly intuitive but probably not up to a Canon standard, but perhaps better than Sony.

-After learning that the Fn button only changes one function I was happy to learn that pressing the ADJ button (wheel) brings up a quick menu of 5 functions.

-Picture quality seems to be good and so far I am satisfied with the focal length. I was torn between the III and the IIIx.

-The lock button for the mode dial seems odd but hasn't been much of a deterrent to rotating the dial on the fly.

-The front dial (which I've switched to shutter) seems quite recessed into the camera body but works fine. Same thing with the On/Off button. I suppose this is so it is not accidentally pressed.

-WiFi and Bluetooth. The same complaints as usual.

-There are some weird features like "Link AE and AF Point" and perhaps one I'm still scratching my head about, is that Image Controls/Filters such as Positive Film, Retro, etc., can still be used in RAW. I'm still trying to figure out if I shoot Raw in Standard if I'm getting a RAW file or a processed file. If I set Standard to +1 Sharpness, is it being applied to the RAW file?

Well anyway, it seems to be a fun camera. Here are a few pics of first day out with it. Most are SOOC.

Appreciate any and all comments. Cheers!

Starny's gear list:Starny's gear list
Ricoh GR III
Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow