Traveling to Brazil - should I bring the 50-140mm?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chapada Regular Member • Posts: 264
Traveling to Brazil - should I bring the 50-140mm?

I'm traveling to Brazil for vacations and I'm not sure if I should bring the 50-140mm. Some things that keep my uncertain:

1) My last two trips I took too many photos. After so much time of not being able to travel because of the pandemic I was taking shots all the time. That coupled with changing the lenses was a bit exhausting and I came home with too many pictures that I still haven't edited.

2) In Latin America I keep my camera in my bag most of the time, so when I see a good opportunity I take it out and immediately put it back in to avoid drawing attention. That means I won't be changing lenses on the streets. The 50-140mm would be pretty much reserved to be a "lookout point" lens.

3) But I don't think I'm going to be around that many lookout points at all. There's two hikes that I planned and some beaches but it's not like that makes it a necessity to bring it. I'm not going to the Pantanal or the Amazonas where every mm counts

4) Well, it's Brazil so there is always that safety issue. I never had any problems in the developing world and during past trips to Brazil but you just need to be unlucky once. I can't deny that this makes me worried: lugging around $3000 worth of camera gear when the minimum wage is just $170 + tons of economic issues with the pandemic feels strange. I'm going to be in the "safest" part, which is the South though.

But at the end of the day the image quality of the 50-140mm is just incredible. Which makes me want to neglect all the points I mentioned above. So what do you think, would you bring it? Makes me feel like I should have kept my $150 50-230mm from Taiwan...

chapada's gear list:chapada's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow