Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

Started Oct 25, 2021 | Questions thread
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 4,048
Re: Sony RX10 IV: how to keep focal length fixed?

BertIverson wrote:

luciano909 wrote:

I'm using a Sony RX10 IV. I’m finding that it is pretty easy to accidentally change the focal length. For example say if I have extended the camera to 600mm, I’m regularly accidentally knocking zoom lever and accidentally changing the focal length to something like 500mm. This is particularly the case when I’m using the camera with a shoulder strap. Is there a way to either fix the focal length or change the function of the zoom lever so it cannot accidentally be knocked?

Several good comments here so here is my summary:

Like others have said, you can not disable the zoom lever but, like Horace says, you can assign the zoom ring to the ring nearest to the body. This would prevent accidentally changing zoom by accidently touching the front ring. (certainly why I assign zoom to the focus ring closest to the body)

just my 0.02
Bert

It's actually the exact opposite of what you say. The default zoom ring position is the fatter ring closest to the body and being closest to the body is the reason it is easy to accidentally nudge when supporting the camera with the left hand. Swapping the zoom function over to the front focus ring, greatly reduces the chance of nudging it. It doesn't matter if you nudge the fatter ring next to the body when it's used for focus as when you are in auto-focus nothing happens.

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6700 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Sony a7C II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow