"highight recovery" - Humble Pie.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 20,372
"highight recovery" - Humble Pie.

To my discredit, I get cranky whenever someone mentions multiple EVs of highlight recovery just by turning down the exposure slider in SPP. However, I am stumbling over the word "recovery" and today realize that my interpretation is different than that of most other people.

To me, "recovery" means that of all original scene color and detail that got blown by the sensor. But it seem that that is not the expectation of many, if any, others.

After some research today, I read an article from the mighty Adobe about Camera Raw's highlight recovery (sic).

https://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/highlight_recovery.pdf

There, it says:

"Anytime you set the Exposure settings to a minus number, even a -.05 setting, Camera Raw attempts to return useful data. Depending on the camera and the extent of the raw highlight data, Camera Raw can provide additional usable data down to a -1.00 to -2.00 range and sometimes even more." (my bold).

So in future, when the same is mentioned with respect to SPP, I'll try to keep my mouth shut!

-- hide signature --

Just interested in the technology.

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow