Wood & Whistling Ducks, BIFs & DIFs, & More (10/26/2021)

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 34,479
Wood & Whistling Ducks, BIFs & DIFs, & More (10/26/2021)

Moving along with the wetlands wildlife, this post will wrap up June 19th, where the last post left off.  It had been a lovely day, with lots of diversity - started out overcast but had the terns diving around, then the sun came out to end the afternoon for some lovely bird closeups and a lot of BIF opportunities.  The first few shots start off with the FE200-600mm lens I was using for the last post, then I switched over to the FE100-400mm GM lens to shoot more BIF action as that lens is easier to swing around and follow the action.

All shots taken with the A6600, and all posted at 1800 pixels on the long side if you view them in original size:

It's so nice that our cormorants are completely human-tolerant...they'll stand on the rail as you pass them a foot or two away without a care in the world.  That means you can get nice closeups of their beautiful eye and bill!

A juvenile tricolored heron out for a stroll in the shallow water

A juvenile wood stork standing at its nest with the sibling behind - waiting patiently for a parent to return with food

A juvenile tricolored heron flying around - they still want to be fed by the parents, but they're able to fly around on their own and technically could go get their own food...but just want to keep living off the parents as long as possible

A black-necked stilt working through the roots and reeds in the shallow water

A very striking male least bittern, turning on full breeding colors, sneaking its way through the trees just above the water

At this point, I made the switch to the FE 100-400mm GM lens, for the remainder of the day...

One very funky and cool swamp flower.  I don't know many flowers/plants, but I loved this one with the long 'hairs' sticking out of the blooms

The wood ducks were sticking around more than usual at the local wetlands - the usually colorful and ornate male loses much of the colored plumage when breeding season is over, reverting to this more subdued 'eclipse' plumage

Still a beautiful duck, even in eclipse plumage!

The black-necked stilts are always active in early summer as they just nested, often still have their chicks around - so they take flight often to circle threats or just survey the area, which this one was doing

Another lovely duck - the black-bellied whistling duck, flying overhead and looking for a good spot to land

A close fly-by of the black-bellied whistling duck

Black-necked stilt still circling the area, making a close pass

Two more black-bellied whistling ducks heading this way

One last close pass of the black-necked stilt

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed and invited and always appreciated!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow