The disadvantages of using a lens coat

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Carol Darby Contributing Member • Posts: 686
The disadvantages of using a lens coat

I purchased a lens cover for my lens for two reasons. To disguise the bright white of the 150-400 and to protect it and keep it looking new. One of the disadvantages is that it makes it awkward to access all the buttons that offer so many features. And also makes manual focus a little awkward.

Today made me realise that there is another big disadvantage. I got caught out in the rain. Knowing that my camera and lens are both splash proof I wasn’t at all concerned. The camera still works so it definitely wasn’t bothered by the wet. But the lens cover is soaked so I have had to remove it all to dry it out. Naturally the lens was still wet underneath but once the cover was removed the lens dried off quickly. The lens coat will take some time to dry.

I am seriously thinking of not putting the lens coat back on. It is a very tight fit so tedious to put on and take off. And if I have to do this every time it gets wet it will be a real pain. I will wipe the lens down after use and make sure it stays nice a pristine.

what are your thoughts of the pros and cons of lens covers.

Carol

Carol Darby's gear list:Carol Darby's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus E-M1 III Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow