Would I be mad to move from the A7RII to A7IV?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Docno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,889
Would I be mad to move from the A7RII to A7IV?

The A7R was my first mirrorless, then I quickly moved up to the A7RII. I skipped the A7RIII because it felt more like an incremental upgrade. The A7RIV was tempting, but I ended up holding back because I felt I didn't need all those megapixels (even though I now have the hardware to deal with it). So the A7IV comes along and I'm in a quandary. My A7RII is feeling long in the tooth, and the A7IV would be a massive step up in terms of AF, menus, rear LCD, handling, etc etc., but I'd be giving up those megapixels. I don't print large, so I don't have a rational argument for this concern, but I do enjoy pixel-peeping ... I still get a 'wow factor' from seeing the detail the A7RII can pick up.

Anyone else considering this move? Any chance I'd be disappointed?

Re my primary use: before the pandemic, it was mostly travel -- I live in SE Asia, so there are lots of interesting places a short plane ride away. But with all the travel restrictions in place, it's mostly casual portraiture (meaning my wife, as in the shots here). Waiting for things to open up again...

Thanks

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +6 more
Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Jay
Jay
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow