a1 200-600 owl shot

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
John Mason
OP John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 6,153
Re: a1 200-600 owl shot

Jimfastcar wrote:

As a Beginner I am in awe of your wonderful picture.

I have until recently shot with a6400 and Sony 100-400 + 1.4TC and I wish I could get results even remotely as good as this. I recently upgraded to a7RIII for the full frame/higher MP.

I process in Affinity and tend to use a lot of DeNoise and Sharpen from the software, but I also confess an early learning curve with the software. I do not know what DXO means, and I have always saved pics in jpeg not tiff. Lots to learn I know....

Below is my best effort to date with a Screech Owl. This was taken with the a6400.

DXO is a raw processing software that in this case was mainly just use for converting the raws to 16 bit Tiffs with the nice wide aRGB color space after cropping.  Then that output was fed to Topas AI Sharpen which gave me a 16 bit Tiff also in aRGB but with low noise and sharpened even with the high crop and high ISO.  Then DXO was used at the end to scale down to 2048 longest side in the sRGB color space which works best for general on-line posting say to FB.
Except for extreme workflows like this one, I normal just use DXO as it's built in Deep Prime noise reduction is very good.  
I just use the 16 bit Tiffs as they have much more information that an 8 bit Jpeg so are almost as good as sending the Raw file to Topaz AI Sharpen.  But since Topaz AI Sharpen won't take a Raw and Sony raw ARW files to DNG's  (Adobe's raw standard) which Topaz can take (DNGs that is) causes inconsistencies in the color response (pretty big ones), I like this high information 16 bit Tiff method when transferring between post procesing software.
Had I shot this with jpgs only in camera I would not been able to salvage much out of the shot as compared to shooting raw.  (imo)

-- hide signature --

John Mason - Battle Ground, Indiana USA

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Sony a1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow