Does Cheap Autofocus Use Zones?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
thinkinginimages
thinkinginimages Senior Member • Posts: 1,294
Re: Does Cheap Autofocus Use Zones?

Kit Lens Avenger wrote:

Seems like the AF systems in both my Canon T7 and M5 are only capable of reading distance in a finite number of discrete zones.

The in-focus indicators in both their VFs will light up for objects at significantly different distances (individual AF activation via shutter button) without the least racking movement of the lens (easily heard/felt when it happens).

Similarly, when manually focusing my T7 I see the focus confirmation dot(s) staying lit through a significant arc of lens barrel rotation.

I think AF, or at least mine, is pretty sketchy so I manually focus as much as possible. I've done many comparos with AF on/off and I can usually beat it, even with my DSLR.

This is going to be hard to explain. The short answer is yes, but I doubt it applies to anything but the cheapest, point and shoot, slow wide angle-ish, fixed focal length camera.

I know exactly what you are referring to. i see a similar effect with focus peaking. You would have to use a flat focusing target, like a newspaper, to test focusing.

Even with single point spot focusing on, AF can have a hard time comprehending exactly what you are prioritizing. Pupil of the eye or the eye lashes?

thinkinginimages's gear list:thinkinginimages's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow