Is there something the GFX 50S II is better than the GFX 100S (price aside)

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
OP sonic123 Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Is there something the GFX 50S II is better than the GFX 100S (price aside)

Valued Customer wrote:

sonic123 wrote:

Hi. It's a very quick question. I'm on the fence of buying a GFX camera and still deciding between the 50SII and the 100s. Apart from the price, is the 50SII better than the 100s at something? If I were to do Pixel Shifting on the 50SII to obtain a 200mp image, could that image be better than the default 100mp image of the 100S? $2000 more is a lot but if these GFX models are to last at least 2-3 years before newer one, I would always question why didn't I spend $2000 more for the 100s end-game camera.

Thank you very much!

You have a wonderful problem.

Get your quandary. I went for the 100s. The 100mp creates more storage concerns but also gives you the opportunity to "hyper crop". From a financial perspective, you get an "extra" lense since you can really crop into the image but still reap the full medium format look when using the full "negative." For me the 100s is not just some incremental upgrade. The photographic opportunities it opens to you can be profound.

What do you want do with the camera and what lense(s) are you considering? I really like the gf45-100 which gives breath of mm and pretty quickly autofocuses. Plus the lenses is filled with damn nice pieces of glass. Think about what you want to do. Think about lense choice as some of the lenses, thought they are utterly amazing, are slower focussing. For me the gf45-100 offers me breath of opportunity even though a specific lense could be better at a specific task. In your case, money concern, it seems like having a sense or lenses that can do "a lot" and are still damn good is important.

Was trying pixel shift outside with 100s. Did not see major benefit but have not seriously worked with it. It is not fun to work with and was generating errors and... I could proably get more out of it but do not want invest time there right now. Intellectually the pixel shift idea is amazing. Hopefully I will find real serious real world benefits here.

Good luck with your fun decision.

Thank you for your answer. I liked very much the idea that having the GFX100S with all the features it provides can open new photo opportunities. In my next post, I'll reply to bobby350z telling about what I intend to use the MF camera (either the 100S or the 50SII)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow