Identical shot: EM10.1 vs EOS 6D. Is FF worth it?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bas Hamstra Senior Member • Posts: 1,741
Identical shot: EM10.1 vs EOS 6D. Is FF worth it?

As a sort of recalibration I took the same shot with the Olympus OM-D E-M10 mark I and the Canon EOS 6D mark I. Some details:

EOS 6D

• RAW processed in DPP
  • JPEG refined in Apple Photo to taste (brighten up, balance shadows and sky)
  • Good copy of the 28-135 lens

E-M10.1

• Direct JPEG, no RAW
  • Natural with gradation AUTO and color+1 and sharpness+1
  • JPEG refined in Apple Photo (brighten up, balance shadows and sky)
  • Oly 14-42 II kitlens (I think mine is quite good actually)

Personally I find that gradation AUTO works well for landscapes and in lots of other shots too (but there are these regular unpredictable fails too, that can be hard to repair). Anyway FF has the edge, as expected, but the practical difference in detail (what you could notice in a printed comparison) is rather small, I think. And that is only the E-M10.1 where I have just acquired the E-M1.2, which should have a better sensor and no AA filter!

If only MFT had a 12-35/1.4 zoomlens I think I would never look back at full frame. Is it really that hard? But as it stands the OOF rendering of full frame is too much for me to let go. Of course you can use primes etc etc, I know. But I am talking standard 24-70/2.8 equivalent blur, or even 28-105 if you want to go cheap (but still good).

Your thoughts?

Kind regards,

Bas

Bas Hamstra's gear list:Bas Hamstra's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 6D Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +11 more
Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow