Guess The Place #220

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
R Liewenberger Senior Member • Posts: 1,677
Re: Guess The Place #220

HansAlbert wrote:

R Liewenberger wrote:

HansAlbert wrote:

where?

Looks like its near a city in the former 'Zonenrandgebiet', where about 40 years ago I had to listen to a (rather boring) speech, delivered by the mayor, who later became our Minister of Finance.

Back in the early seventies, whenever our guesthouses/bars here in my area closed at 1 a.m. and we still felt like another beer, we drove with our bikes to a café/bar near Trier, that was always open until 4 a.m., with live music/bands and everything. The café's name was the same as this castle's. A bit too complicated to pronounce for some US GI friends, so they just called it 'the shoe' (also the way 'Kaiserslautern' became 'K-town').

Liewenberger

Yes, the mayor of this city became Minister of Finance. Another clue: After a lost battle a French king was brought to this place as a prisoner.

Ganz schön auf's Glatteis geführt, Hans (Quite nicely led on the slippery slope) by showing mainly the middle part of this building! It made me look up everything Schinkel, lol, but when this place was built, old Schinkel was still a teenager!

And from Max I could learn something new to me, didn't know about the Rembrandt collection there, thank you!

Liewenberger

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow