Why did sony quit using STAMINA technology ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 1,741
Why did sony quit using STAMINA technology ?

For those who forgot, Stamina was a sony thing used in video and still cameras and was heavily advertised via branding, stickers and it's own section in the user manual.

Stamina applied only to li-ion batteries and worked by displaying an accurate battery level expressed in remaining hours and minutes.

What really impressed me about Stamina was the fact that the technology worked even with old and worn out batteries, always displaying info with reasonable accuracy.

The only stills camera that i had using Stamina li-ion batteries was an ancient cybershot T7, but i know all high end cybershots using li-ion batteries had this.

So, how come stamina dissapeared from sony cameras? And funnily enough, why does the stamina function still exists in sony smartphones, but not their cameras? Btw, in smartphones the stamina estimates are not accurate at all, but then again the batteries themselves are not marked "stamina", which tells me stamina is or used to be a distinct, proprietary technology and not just a marketing gimmick like it is today in the Xperia phones.

I would have expected stamina to be available for the rx series, but not even the first rx100 had this, only a standard li-ion battery.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Canon EOS Rebel T7 (EOS 2000D) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow