Fast Olympus lens and poor results.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Junior Member • Posts: 49
Fast Olympus lens and poor results.

Hi

Back in the film days with my venerable Olympus OM-10 and the stock F1.8 50mm lens it came with, night photography was a joy and so simple. Everything just worked.

I bought a new lens for my upgraded camera, Olympus OM-D E-M10ii. Ok it's not the best of the best but I got good results with it and an F3.8 lens at night and I wanted to improve upon things. So I bought a faster lens and took the new lens with me up north, hoping to have the same or similar ease of use and success which my film camera and original lens gave me.

But it was troublesome.

The new lens is an M.Zukio 12mm F2.0, bought and delivered from Toronto (I certainly hope there was no damage in shipping).

Links provided for the purpose of product identification:

https://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/m-zuiko-12mm-f2-0-2.html

https://downtowncamera.com/shop/brands/olympus/olympus-mzuiko-digital-ed-12mm-f2-0-lens-silver/4b1f1090-9138-012e-8775-20cf30bab63e?variation=1979216

So when I went to use the new lens at night while up north, trying to focus on the night sky and take advantage of that fast F2.0 apeture, the stars all looked like big glowing bulbs, big circles. The lens was manually focused to infinity.

It wasn't until I adjusted the apeture to about an F8 that things looked normal.

I'm very disappointed in this. What's the point in buying a fast lens if you can't use it at it's advertised fastest setting.

My old stock 50mm lens from the film camera never gave such problems at F1.8 but sadly I cannot use the old lenses on a digital camera I learned.

Is my new lens defective? Or is this how lenses are marketed these days, saying F2.0 but in reality only usable at F8? Is this what it has come to?

Thank you.

geo

Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow