Auto Focus Question

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dalan462
Dalan462 New Member • Posts: 14
Auto Focus Question

I have been a Canon SLR user since the film days.  I had a Canon FTB QL for walking around and I had a Canon F1 and A1 for my serious photography.  I also had an A2 and an EOS 1D for my film work.  When digital came out I started with the Canon 10D which I had for many years and then got a 40D and a 50D which I still have.  Recently I took the leap into full frame  bought a 5D Mkii and am excited to see if it all it is cracked up to be or just another bunch of marketing BS dreamed up by Canon and their fanboys.  Stay tuned for my thoughts on this.

Obviously I know Canon but I in some cases don't know how they dream up the way they do some things.  I like to use the Auto Focus start button in case the exposure changed suddenly when I am photographing.  I notice that Canon has a bad habit of mis-labeling their controls.  As an example the "AF Start" button on the back of the camera (the 5D Mkii and most of the consumer level bodies).  Interestingly enough this button DOES NOT start the AF.  What starts the AF is the button immediately to the right of the so-called "AF Start" button the one that has an asterisk "*" label.

My question is how stupid does Canon think we are or are their engineers and marketing people a pack of brainless, mind washed morons who enthusiastically drink the Kool-Aid that Canon spoon feeds them and believe that if they do the same to the camera buying public for long enough we will do it as well?  I can't speak for everyone but I've been using Canon products for over 20 years and I have not and never will drink their Kool-Aid no matter how hard they try.  Anyone have any thoughts on the AF button mystery?  I'd love to hear them.

Dalan462's gear list:Dalan462's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow