Nikon 24-200 any better than the Olympus 12-100?

Started Dec 4, 2020 | Discussions thread
YordanRhapsody Regular Member • Posts: 373
12-100 vs 24-70S

My 2 cents

em1.2 with 12-100 and Z6 with 24-70

as far as sharpness goes, I find Oly lens a step above, and if 24-70 is better than 24-200 then the comparison is done. Nikon will provide better oof I believe, as it is already with 24-70 compared to 12-100 (sensor size of course, but also lens dependent, I always find 40-150 bokeh too busy and without pop, in some ways 12-100 has better micro-contrast and tone transition)

as stated few posts before, Oly lens is limited by the camera

in fact the real pain is when higher iso is needed. with enough light it's not a problem, bumping iso to 1600-2000 or little more is still possible (but requires some tweak on RAW file), but if you need to use faster shutter speed when light is not enough, then noise is more than visible, contrast is falling apart, some details are lost.

also the more you go high on ISO the more is difficult to recover shadow details

don't get me wrong, I really love Oly system and lenses, I love how they are made and their sharpness (I always tend to decrease it in post production)

for now I only own 24-70S and 50 1.8 (this lens alone can keep me on Nikon system) and I'm using Oly with 7-14 12-100 and/or 40-150 for hike and nature.

city travel, Nikon is my choise

looking forward for the next announcements, if Nikon 100-400 will be reasonable in weight and size, I might consider switching totally to Nikon, but I'm also waiting new OMD "wow" camera to see what they have (not a lot of expectation to be honest)

all images at 100%

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
HUN
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow