D780 AF problem for dogs with black faces

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Craftsman70 Contributing Member • Posts: 662
Re: D780 AF problem for dogs with black faces

Robert Cohen wrote:

Interesting point about the AF-assist light. I don't recall ever knowingly making use of it. Unless I was doing a close-up portrait I'd generally be too far away for that light to have any effect, certainly that'd be the case when shooting dog photos. I try not to bother or disturb the dogs when I'm shooting rally indoors so I'm typically shooting at least twenty feet away. When they get close I stop shooting and if they look at me I look away as though I'm not interested in them.

Unless you turn off the light option in the menus, chances are that it clicked on at some point if there were focusing issues.  The D7000 isn't that smart in knowing when not to use the light when it comes to disturbing the subject or that things are at a distance.

Dogs are kind of strange in that they take interest in you if you take interest in them.  If not, most dogs don't care but if they believe you are looking at them even with a camera (which I'm sure they don't know what it is) their behaviours change.

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow