Airshows: video recording tips please

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,622
Re: Airshows: video recording tips please

pawn wrote:

Hi

For those who have made video recordings at airshows, can you please share your experience wrt the heads (ball head, gimbal head, fluid head, etc.) that were used when video recording the shows? Is using a fluid head a must?

Thanks

Duy

A GOOD fluid head mounted on a steady tripod is going to be EXTREMELY HELPFUL at the least.

I've tried using ball heads in the past for some action shots and it was a complete and total disaster. (Of course, could be operator error.) Panning and tilting "worked" technically speaking (although very jerky), but I couldn't keep the roll axis steady at all with my heavy camera and lens. I gave up after about 12 minutes. None of the footage was even remotely usable. And it was mentally exhausting trying to balance it.

Depending on the internal stabilization of your camera, maybe a solid shoulder rig might work???

I don't have any idea if a properly balanced gimbal head would work (we are talking about a purely mechanical gimbal head that a wildlife photographer might use, right? Not electronic gimbals like DJI Ronin or Zhiyun Crane, right?) I could only imagine that even with a properly balanced mechanical gimbal head the footage still wouldn't be smooth when panning or tilting.

P.S. You have some great shots on your smugmug site. I encourage anyone seeing this to visit your site and check out your photos.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow