Long exposure with PLM 16-50mm

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
manual_focus Senior Member • Posts: 1,439
Long exposure with PLM 16-50mm

Long exposure photography gives those dreamy water movement effects and are usually done with an UWA lens so you get both interesting fore and background views.It generally requires both a CPL and ND filters. Integrated lens hoods are quite bothersome in finding a filter holder that can attach to the lens. The DFA 15-30mm f/2.8 falls into this category. That and it is a heavy beast of a lens.

I recently spend some time along the Blue Ridge Parkway and hiked the 0.5 miles (0.8 km) to the twin upper Linville Falls to try out the new DA* 16-50mm f/2.8. Along with the lens and camera body, you also need to bring along a sturdy tripod, filter holder and various ND filters. The weight savings and easier handling of the K3II setup over the K1 was too much to pass up.

Optical performance stopped down is more important than wide open with shooting long exposures. I felt the lens did quite well at f/13-16 (my usual upper limit). The other issue is using a CPL when shooting UWA and keeping the sky looking natural. Luckily for this shot the sun was in the right position. The sky is brightening on the right side but the trees hide it nicely.

In the future for ease of use, I might try a simple screw-in combination CPL/6 stop ND filter. Will be interesting to see what the upcoming DFA 21mm Limited can do. I will love to be able to replace hiking with the heavy DFA 15-30mm.

Enjoy!

DFA* 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM with Wine Country CPL and 6 stop ND filter.

Pentax DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW Pentax K-3 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow