Lighting More Important Than Camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Jhuffphoto Forum Member • Posts: 98
Lighting More Important Than Camera

Did a family photo shoot last weekend. I was forced to shoot at midday in the worst lighting possible. So…I got out my speed light and tried to balance my exposure while shooting in the shade of a tree as I had a very scenic background. This was somewhat successful and I was able to save many of the shots in post. Flash was off camera and I used my XT2 and X100V. Photo quality between the two was very consistent which speaks volumes about the XT2. I became very frustrated with the issues of lighting including the long recycle time for a full pop of the speed light. I really needed new rechargeable batteries as these were not the newest. Anyway I now have in my B&H cart a Godox AD400Pro with a light stand and a soft box and a few other accessories. My initial knee jerk reaction was that I needed to scrap all of my gear and start from scratch maybe with a full frame system. However after much thought I decided that for a lot less money I could make a much bigger impact to my results with lighting. Total cost of lighting kit I put together was around $900 USD. I cannot imagine any kind of camera upgrade for under $1k that will have the same impact. Plus I love using my Fuji gear from a tactile point of view. Just something to think about next time anyone feels like their gear is not good enough. Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to share my experience.

Jhuffphoto's gear list:Jhuffphoto's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Nikon D90 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica X1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow