Question about how sensor size affects video

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,671
Question about how sensor size affects video

Frustrated when reading reviews of this camera or that camera, m4/3/DX/full frame and their respective video capabilities, never reading a comment like "but remember this camera has only a m4/3 sensor so that means that..." thus explaining why a beginner such as myself would want to choose a Z6 over a G9 or GH5...or vice versa.

Surely shooting with a larger sensor would be better, right? In my stills world I have clients who only accept 45mp images from my D850 and want me to start shooting with medium format. That doesn't seem to be the case in the video world.

So, after reading articles like this: https://vmi.tv/blog/learn-help/guide-to-sensor-sizes-and-lens-formats/

I've concluded that it's complicated.  Shooting videos ranges from the soccer mom filming her kid's soccer game to me shooting clips downtown for practice to you all doing...well, whatever it is you shoot for money, to Hollywood.

In a nutshell:  for my purposes just starting out but planning for the future, does it really matter if I shoot 4k on my D7500 (Nikon DX with a 1.5x crop in 4k) or a Nikon Z6 (full frame, 4k with no crop) or a Panasonic G9 (m4/3, no crop 4k, basically a poor man's GH5)?

Be the first to tell me because I haven't read any article yet that does.

Nikon D7500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow