GFX 50R vs. Leica Q2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoshuaR Regular Member • Posts: 315
GFX 50R vs. Leica Q2

I apologize if this type of thread has been done to death, but I'm hoping someone on this board can offer me some insight and perspective.

I'm a longtime Fuji X shooter—a hobbyist who basically takes pictures of my family life. My usual kit is an X-Pro3 with the 18 f/2, 27 f/2.8, and 35 f/1.4 lenses. I own and have owned a lot of other X-series gear (including the bigger, faster primes), but that's the core of what I use; I'm a "normal" FOV kind of photographer, and I love the size, design, and interface of the X-Pro3. Within that focal-length range, my favorite perspective is 40mm-equivalent—wide enough for some environment, tight enough for a portrait.

Over the past year or so, I've gotten increasingly curious about changing gear. Part of it is probably just artistic boredom, but there are two other factors. First, while I'm very happy with the size-to-IQ ratio of the 35 f/1.4 and 27 f/2.8, I don't really love the 18 f/2—I wish Fuji had a better small, fast wide-normal option (the 18 f/1.4, while excellent, is a little big for me). Another, bigger factor is that I've gotten tired of switching lenses while out and about. I'm happiest with a one-camera-one-lens solution, like the X100 series. This line of thinking led me to the Leica Q2. I rented one, like it a lot, and actually bought one. But then, a week after getting the camera, a fault developed in the EVF. I'm now returning it. Luckily, I hadn't yet sold my Fuji gear. Now I'm now back to my X-Pro.

This weird turn of events seems like it could be a chance to investigate another possibility, which is the 50R plus the GF 50mm lens, which I could combine to create a medium-format 40mm-e single-lens camera. (I wouldn't be able to afford any other GF lenses for a long while.) From what I can see, I could put this combination together for roughly half the cost of the Q2, which means that I could keep my X-Pro 18/27/35 kit in addition.

I'm curious to know if anyone has used both the Q2 and the 50R, and can give me a sense of how they compare in terms of usability and especially image quality. What I'm really after is basically just.... beautiful images. It's not really about resolution—I don't print huge—but about the look of the pictures. I love my Fuji lenses, especially the 35, but the Q2, with its 28mm Summilux, seemed to give me something more—better colors, better rendering, more detail, more beautiful light, a more vivid sense of three-dimensionality. This was especially true for portraits. I don't need every picture I take to have a special look—I take my share of fast-action toddler snapshots—but my favorite photographs are ones that capture light in an especially beautiful way. I know that's loosey-goosey talk, but I lack the technical knowledge to describe it any better. In many respects, the Q2 is a worse camera than the X-Pro3—it's slower to focus, etc.—but the images made the switch worth it to me.

Where does a setup like the GFX 50R, with the GF 50mm, fit into this? My current thinking is that it could be my "especially beautiful pictures" camera, as it were. I'm curious what you all think. Thanks for putting up with this long post.

JoshuaR's gear list:JoshuaR's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica Q2 Fujifilm X100V
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow