Tamron 18-300 for E-mount

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jigal
Jigal Contributing Member • Posts: 594
Re: Curious how it compares to the Sony 18-200

hawk15 wrote:

Looks like I'm not the only Tamron 18-200 user out there. Makes me wonder 2 things:
1. why it became a forgotten lens

I can only speak for myself when I bought the SEL18200LE. The A6400 lists supported lenses for in camera correction. And that list only contains Sony lenses. Currently the Sony 18-200 LE is even cheaper than the Tamron and the silver Sony 18-200 is about €30 more expensive than the Tamron. If you can buy a Sony lens (with Tamron's history of broken AF motors) that is supported for correction for approximately the same price as the Tamron then the choice is easy.

and

2. why Tamron crowded into 18-200 back (partly answers #1) then instead of releasing 18-300, back then

Perhaps they could offer their 18-200 back then for a much lower price than the Sony lens? I'm not sure which lenses were available for Canon and Nikon back then but they had a lens design for the 18-200 which they could use for more than one version. It was perhaps relatively cheap in terms of development costs to offer it also for Sony cameras?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jigal.

Jigal's gear list:Jigal's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow