18-55 seems better than the xc(xf) 35mm ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Banhmimeo Junior Member • Posts: 30
18-55 seems better than the xc(xf) 35mm ?

Hi everyone,

I just got an xc 35mm f2 and did a lot of side-by-side comparison photos with the 18-55 at equivalent focal length and aperture using a tripod.

The obvious observation is that the 18-55 has a slightly more contrasted and warm rendering than the 35mm, so it gives the impression of capturing a little more micro details and intensity in dark colors. As for the rest, these 2 objectives are very very close in term of image quality.

An example, here in the black part of the image we can clearly see a lost of details compared to the 18-55

I am a little surprised (and a bit disapointed) because I expected better rendering quality from the xc 35mm being a premium against a zoom.
For example, the 50mm 1.8 stm gun was so much better than the ef-s 18-55 stm and than the 18-55 EF-M. The difference was really obvious.

Other people constat the same result ? I guess we can talk about the XF 35mm because is the same optical formula.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow