Fungi inside lens

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sundre
Sundre Contributing Member • Posts: 710
Fungi inside lens

So this was my first year with a camera. I bought my G9 and the Pana 12-60/3.5-5.6 about 14 months ago, and added the Pana 25mm/1.7 about a year ago.

I just purchased my first serious lens, the Pana 35-100/2.8 II, and wanted to trade in the 12-60 and the 25 (trading via MPB.com). I was astonished when MPB replied that upon examination, they found fungi inside the 12-60 and the 25 and would not buy them.

I didn't know that fungi inside lenses was a thing, and I certainly didn't expect there to be any inside my lenses. I virtually never shoot in inclement conditions and I haven't been using the 12-60 or the 25 that much at all.

I did some googling, and I understand now that fungi inside lenses is very much a thing. The suggestions I found to combat it ranged from the reasonable (keep some fresh silica gel in your camera bag at all times) to the utterly ridiculous (always keep your lenses, caps off, in a transparent glass cabinet exposed to light, with silica gel that you change daily).

So what is a reasonable level of antifungal measures? I usually keep my lenses in my Peak Design 10L camera bag along with the G9, they all fit in nicely. Would a bag of silica gel (changed weekly?) in the bag be enough?

The 12-60 and the 25 are not optically affected by the fungi at this point, but I guess I won't be able to sell them. Fortunately they aren't worth much. But I don't want this to happen to my new 35-100/2.8...

Sundre's gear list:Sundre's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow