Image Quality you can see

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 6,210
When starting and ending with the resolution of the eye ...

dave92029 wrote:

I have a 4k monitor, but I don't have the display set to 4K because everything would be too small to read. I realize that even set at a lower resolution the detail is sharper than on a monitor capable of 1080p.

For viewing final work on a monitor, I find the resolution of the eye to be a relevant starting point. Assume you don't need finer detail than the eye can resolve, you should do fine with 4K even when moving closer than normal viewing distance. If you don't move closer, HD resolution will be just fine for almost everything.

Mark Galer, who I respect, comments that he Crops his raw images drown to 4K for presentation. The primary use/ benefit of a high MP image is in printing a Very Large poster. How many every do that? I never have.

I think he scales his images down, and in some instances use tight crop with 4K pixel resolution if he want to get closer than his lenses allow, say, for running dogs and birds in flight.

300 ppi is generally considered a high quality image, but doesn't Apple Retina screens usually only reproduce 264 ppi?

PPI refers to image resolution and pixels in your image files. DPI refers to printer raster frequency, and says something about what file resolution is needed to produce the printer raster dots.

You need to feed the printer with enough data to calculate the amount of image data that matches the raster frequency of the printer. More data than this is just a waste.

In most cases 300 pixels per inch resolution is considered enough for high quality prints, and 150-200 pixels per inch is plenty for newspaper print, large format posters and most photographs, etc. The math supports these figures nicely.

How does very high MP cameras produce "better" image quality" than 24mp +???

If you print very large, noticeable wider than one meter (42 inches) for pictures that are studied at a very close distance, and when you crop pretty hard, then more than 24 Mp can be helpful.

To fill a large billboard, a file with 1500 to 2000 pixels with will do the trick, due to the large viewing distance (again, calculated from the resolution of the eye).

Having a high Mp camera is most of all the feeling of having plenty resolution. With today's cameras, many have much more resolution than what is needed for a lot of professional productions.

Also note that contrast is more important for the perception of "sharp and clear" images than sheer fine detail resolution.

Then add that for professional medias, content is way more important than very high technical file quality. Strangely, many forget this essential point when talking about image quality.

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow