Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,615
Re: Safety!

Pocket Lint wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Craig Gillette wrote:

The shooting on the movie set in New Mexico should be a reminder that sometimes the activities we are photographing can be extremely dangerous and we all have a responsibility to ourselves and everyone else involved to always have safety in mind. As it happens, I also drove by the Arroyo Hondo bridges near Gaviota/Santa Barbara, CA, today, where a group of "photographers" were struck by an Amtrak train in 2014.

Being involved with re-enacting and living history and the use of firearms in those activities, I'm not going to conclude much yet from the information that's been presented in the news. I think the terms "prop gun" and "misfire" as I've seen them used lack clarity. I do think it's not just a "single point" failure - that there was more than one "problem" that worked together to have this result.

From what I've read, there was a firearms expert on hand that was supposed to ensure safety. Also, the assistant director apparently handed it to the actor and specifically stated it was safe. Obviously that was not the case, so definitely a breakdown in protocol or procedure broke somewhere.

Yeah, Alec Baldwin did not inspect the firearm himself to ensure it was safe. Enough said.

And if he was not trained how to do so, that's still a failure in the overall process & procedures.  From the reports coming out, it sounds like maybe it was the norm for it to be checked & declared safe prior to handing to the person being filmed and the recipient is meant to take them at their word.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow