Sigma 150-600mm C unacceptably soft?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mikew5163 Regular Member • Posts: 352
Sigma 150-600mm C unacceptably soft?

Hi,

I recently bought a used Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 Contemporary from a well-known UK retailer and have been trying it out on my 7D. I wanted to use it for birds and wildlife but am really not pleased with the images I am getting from it - in particular at 600mm, where I am likely to need to use it a lot of the time. All the images coming out of the lens at that length look unacceptably soft to me and have vertical fringing on them. Here is a close centre crop from a shot taken at ISO800, 600mm, f8, 1/1250s:

Sigma 150-600mm C at 600mm, f8, 1/1250s, ISO800 - centre crop

You can clearly see fringing around the eyes and bill of the bird at the front. Maybe I am expecting too much from this lens, but I have seen plenty of sample images from it on this site and others that look lovely and sharp and don't exhibit this fringing.  I have the option to send the lens back under warranty, but I'm not sure whether this level of softness would be regarded as a fault or just 'normal for this lens'.  Any thoughts gratefully received.

Here's the full image for reference:-

Sigma 150-600mm C at 600mm, f8, 1/1250s, ISO800

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow