GFX 50s II just arrived - some photos and initial impression

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
egardner New Member • Posts: 3
GFX 50s II just arrived - some photos and initial impression

As a long-time Fuji APSC shooter who also has dabbled in analog photography over the years, I was very excited when I learned about the new GFX 50s II.

I've been using a Yashica 124G (medium-format TLR) for personal and "art" photography. I love this camera and the results it produces but it's a little bit cumbersome to operate and has been less than 100% reliable in the past. However there is definitely a "look" to the photos (shallower depth of field, wider dynamic range, etc) that I have missed when shooting small-format digital.

I have always appreciated the ergonomics and colors of the smaller X-bodies however, so the prospect of having a similar experience in a larger format was super interesting to me. Previously I had not paid too much attention to the GFX line. I thought the cameras were cool but photography is a passion pursuit for me, not a source of income, and they were simply too expensive to consider. But when the 50s II came out I was sold – body and versatile kit lens for a price similar to a high-end full frame camera.

Anyway I got the camera a couple of days ago and thought I'd share a couple of initial shots. I live in Portland, Oregon and we're currently in peak autumn here. My town also possesses a great selection of old neon signs that I have enjoyed shooting in the past.

So far I'm just working with JPEGs (I need to upgrade Capture One to handle these files). Even the JPEGs have a lot of latitude and have been easy to work with; I am a fan of the Classic Negative and Nostalgic Negative film simulations. I shot the night photos with a Tiffen Glimmerglass diffusion filter to give a little more of a film look.

The kit lens is great! 28mm to 50mm equivalent is all I tend to shoot with anyway. The lens is sharp, compact, and focuses quite close (so a dreamy, shallow image is still achievable for many subjects). And with the IBIS the slower aperture is not really a hindrance in low-light situations. I could see myself getting a single fast prime for portraits at some point and really don't see a need for other lenses.

The articulating screen is very nice to have – I have been shooting a lot at waist level, like my old TLR. And the image stabilization is simply amazing. I can get sharp hand-held photos at one second with it. I may not need a tripod any more.

Anyway this camera is pretty amazing! I know it has an older-generation sensor, slower autofocus, etc. but I really don't care about any of that. I prefer a slower approach for personal photography anyway, and the camera super easy to use. For a certain type of photography I think this is going to be a really excellent system.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow