32" 4k screen recommendation for new 14" M1 Pro/Max MacBook Pro?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Eyal Contributing Member • Posts: 562
Re: 32" 4k screen recommendation for new 14" M1 Pro/Max MacBook Pro?

robgendreau wrote:

Eyal wrote:

Just purchased the new 14" MacBook Pro with M1 Max chip to replace a late 2015 27" 5k iMac

I was running the iMac with a second 25" monitor (Dell Ultrasharp UP2516D - 2560x1440 which does 100% Adobe RGB). Now looking to upgrade to a 32" monitor. Budget: under $2k.

First some basic questions:

1. Should I be looking at a monitor that does 99%+ Adobe RGB or be okay with 100% sRGB for the 'main' 32" monitor since I can use the Dell 25" for proofing in Adobe RGB for prints? If I understand correctly, the proper setup is to process the photos in the maximum color space (ProPhoto RGB) on an sRGB monitor for most of my images as they start off on the web and mobile devices. Then switch to processing on an Adobe RGB monitor for any prints.

You just have to decide if the wider gamut is useful, and that depends in part upon the colors and results you want. But yeah, it seems that if you keep the Dell for proofing you've got the best of both worlds. Especially if you've already got it calibrated and tweaked to approximate print results. I'm guessing the M1 MBP is DCI P3, which is pretty nice too.

2. Will I notice a big drop off in clarity moving from the 27" 5k iMac screen to a 32" 4k one?

Clarity? not sure exactly what you mean, but the pixels will be much bigger on that 32", and it will hold a lot less content at once, 5k vs 4k. The iMac is 218DPI, the 4k 32" is only 138 DPI. But I assume you want lowere DPI by going with 32 instead of 27 or even 24, perhaps because it will be further away. Like a lower DPI print the jaggies won't be noticeable if sufficiently far from your eyes.

3. Ideally, would love a single cable connection to the MacBook Pro that would then be able to connect to an OWC RAID, external SSD and the Dell 25" monitor.

Of course that's impossible since each has its own cable. But I do use a CalDigit T3 for managing that more easily; YMMV. Nice for docking, and it can charge the MBP while connected.

Keep ergonomics in mind; swiveling your head all around gets tiresome, and you have to make room for the MBP, unless you're gonna use it in clamshell mode. Perhaps that's why you want the lower DPI monitor, so it can sit back a ways behind the MBP?

Thanks Rob!

By clarity I meant the drop in DPI vs the current 5k monitor. I sit 36" from the screen so may not be a big deal.

For the single cable, I assume that a single USB-C from the MacBook Pro could connect to a monitor with USB-C/TB3 and that monitor could then be connected to the Dell monitor, RAID, external SSD and feed all that data plus power back to the MacBook Pro.

I have an L shaped desk so plenty of room to put the MacBook Pro in either open or clamshell mode.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow