Question for DXO Photolab Users: Shadows and Highlights

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhotonBeam
PhotonBeam Regular Member • Posts: 238
Question for DXO Photolab Users: Shadows and Highlights

I currently am using Lightroom for photo editing, but have been evaluating a possible switch to DXO Photolab. The main reason for considering a switch is to get the results of DeepPrime without needing to keep large linear DNG files (the results from DXO can be very nice). DXO Photolab also seems to have most of the functionality I need.

However, I am having trouble understanding how to use the selective tone settings to adjust highlights, midtones, and shadows. They seem to operate in a non-intuitive way compared to Lightroom. It is almost as if they are simply shifting a single point on the tone curve, whereas lightroom uses an s-curve to also adjust contrast (or something like that).

Are there any pro tips to getting the desired result from the selective tone settings in DXO Photolab (or additional insight on how they work)? I like the software so far, but this may be a deal breaker if I cannot figure it out.

-- hide signature --
 PhotonBeam's gear list:PhotonBeam's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow