Manfrotto Befree Advanced - how good is it?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sanosai Regular Member • Posts: 255
Manfrotto Befree Advanced - how good is it?

I m looking to shave off 1kg from my existing Vanguand (Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminum) tripod and have something more compact for easier travel

The use of tripod is mostly for macro (and sometimes focus stacking), but also some birding. My macro setup isn't very light (A7RIII/90mm Sony G, Smallrig caged, twin flash T350S). But sort of works 'OK', under ideal conditions

Birding setup is a6300+200-600G

Most challenging aspect of using the tripod is focus stacking. I know that the slightest wind will ruin my stacks, so I m only bothered to give it a go when weather is cooperating. But overall, I m happy with my Vanguard tripod

If I replace my tripod with the Manfrotto Befree Advanced Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod (with 494 Ball Head), am I likely to lose sturdiness? This is what I m mostly concerned about. Willing to spend 200 bucks in favor of easing my back by 1kg, but I wouldn't like to lose the performance I ve already got from the Vanguard. Which is regarded by many an exceptional tripod for the price...

I can't afford a Gitzo GT1545T at this time which costs x3 more. So lets not talk about that. I m only interested to know from someone who's owned both the Manfrotto and the Vanguard and comment on the sturdiness between those two models

Of course, as a newbie, I never owned a better tripod than the Vanguard, and I m certain that the Gitzo will be on a different league. But trying to figure how this Manfrotto stacks up between the two

sanosai's gear list:sanosai's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow