Sony A57 Camera Error

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kwisatz haderach
kwisatz haderach New Member • Posts: 1
Sony A57 Camera Error

Hello everybody!

Afew weeks ago I bought online a used Sony SLT A57 digital camera for an equivalent of 35 USD (I'm not in US). Of course I couldn't test it before the purchase, the seller didn't know if it works or not because the camera had no battery. I decided to give it a try, since it looked so good in the ad pictures (like brand new) except the coating on the screen.

After I picked it up I was astounded, indeed, about it looks. No marks, no scuffs, no scratches, no tear and wear. I was happy and decided to buy a compatible battery (I couldn't find a used cheaper Sony battery) because original Sony costs more than the camera in my country. The battery is rated 7.2V, 1400mAh, 10.08Wh.

When I got the battery, I charged it in my Jupio universal charger until it showed that the battery is full. I plugged it in the camera and crossed my fingers. Turning on the camera was successful, the LCD showed proper info, live view was working, everything seemed to be right. Then I pooped in my sdcard (Kingston 32GB sdhc class 10), initialized the camera and, after restart, I decided to take a picture on P mode (this is the most important thing, right?). The camera autofocused, made the right auto settings, shutter clicked twice (I guess it's right for an SLT camera), the captured pictured stayed on screen for about two seconds and then bam! Camera Error text on a black background showed on the screen. All the buttons were unresponsive, except for on/off button. In this Camera Error mode the VF sensor is working, because when I cover it the screen goes off, so the camera isn't completely locked.

Turning off and then back on after the error (a bit of delay when turning on) the camera works fine, except when I try to take a photo: right after fully pressing the shutter, two clicks are heard and the Camera Error pops on screen. So, the shutter release is working only once (taking photos in Continuous Shooting: Hi saves only the first photo in the sequence, after first photo taken the Camera Error is displayed).

Camera shutter count is about 10800.

It's weird since the pictures are taken and stored on the sdcard, I can review them in Playback mode, they are properly exposed and focused.

Another weird thing: recording videos doesn't produce Camera Error, after stopping the video (and saving it to storage), the camera is perfectly working. But if I try to take a photo, Camera Error is displayed.

Steadyshot function doesn't show any kind of errors if it's enabled. But I don't know if it's really working (should the stabilization effect be shown on screen before taking pictures or it's activated only when the picture is taken? I'm asking because I can't see any effect either on or off).

And now, I give you details about the other hardware I own:

Two bodies:

- Konica Minolta 5D

- Sony A380.

Four Minolta AF lenses:

- Minolta AF DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 D

- Minolta AF 50mm F1.7 (1985)

- Minolta AF 70-210mm F4 (beercan)

- Minolta AF 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 RS.

One M42 lens (with adapter):

- Helios-44M 2/58

All these lenses are working just fine on my older A mount bodies.

Camera Error on A57 is happening with any lens. Even if I use the camera without lens (Release w/o Lens enabled) the error pops in.

I analyzed and read many forums and watched many videos regarding Camera Error on Sony SLT cameras but none of the suggestions worked.

I don't think the non-Sony lenses I use could be the cause, since the camera gives the error even without a lens attached.

Should I be woried about a hardware and/or electronic malfunction?

LE: I forgot to mention something else: if I set up Auto Review to 2, 5 or 10 seconds, the camera shows the captured photo as long as the option is set up (2, 5 or 10 seconds). Right after this delay is completed, Camera Error is displayed on the screen.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A380 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow