Breathing room for the X-H2?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
timwit Contributing Member • Posts: 554
Re: My fear

Canadianguy wrote:

timwit wrote:

Canadianguy wrote:

Remember the Sony A7 III - with a release price of 1999 USD - it just crushed Fujifilm's dream of moving APS-C pricing up.

Fast forward to 2021 - A7 IV is out now and it has a release price of $2499 USD.

So some breathing room for an over $2K APS-C body from Fujifilm.

My "The Price is Right" guess for X-H2 pricing - $2199 with a stacked sensor.

Without a stacked sensor - it should be much cheaper.

It sounds doubtful that the X-H2 will be released at $2199 with a stacked sensor. The initial price at $2499 sounds more realistic since the cost to fabricate one is expensive.

Tim C.

That is my fear - stacked sensors have not been put into the lower price bodies before by Sony, Canon or Nikon. OK - Sony has it in a 1" sensor camera body but its not a cheap 1" body.

If its going to be 2,499 - I don't think many people will pay for the benefits of a stacked sensor design.

And I don't see Fujifilm overproducing a high price body again like they did for the X-H1 - so I don't foresee a fire sale discount on them. They will probability produce them like the X-Pro3 - in low volumes.

Below are released/announced full-frame cameras with a stacked sensor:

Canon R3 - $5999

Sony A1 - $6500

The rumored Nikon Z9 will probably be in the same price range when it is released.

There is a chance that Fujifilm can play their cards right by utilizing their assets and opportunities with the stacked sensor for the X-H2.  An introductory price near $3000 might even be considered a bargain.

Tim C.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow