Lumix 100-300mm II slipping vs. sticky?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bigeloafah Junior Member • Posts: 26
Lumix 100-300mm II slipping vs. sticky?

Appreciative enthusiast here... I've been trying out a just-bought used Lumix 100-300mm II and wonder about the focus ring. I'd read ahead of time about potential for stiff or sticky zoom and focus rings, but what I'm experiencing with the focus ring is more like a slipping.

When focus peaking, it sort of stalls or skids especially right in the middle of that helpful mountains-to-rose petals bar. If I keep turning patiently, the focus line will eventually move. It picks up speed and moves more easily closer to either end of that bar.

Is this what people are talking about when they say the lens is stiff or sticky? I was imagining something more like a steady tug of war with the thing, frankly.

I've read suggestions to hold the ring lightly and evenly, instead of pinching. And I understand temperature may have an effect. My question for you is whether this is the expected and typical issue or bad luck for me.

Thanks for any light you can shed!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow