Considering going back to DSLR

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ad12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,293
Considering going back to DSLR

Hello

I’ve decided I want to go back to bayer and lightroom with Canon colours. I won’t discuss this part further, as it’s what I’ve concluded, i want a bayer sensor.

I use my XT3 for wildlife and birds/BiF, with sigma 150-600 and tamron 100-400 EF mount. The reasons i got an XT3 were three fold, my t7i rebel lacked manual controls, a small VF, and no autofocus adjustment settings. Plus, I love EVFs for landscapes (WYSIWYG).

Given I want a bayer sensor again, I’ve been looking at Canon. I cannot afford an R5. I could stretch to an R6, but the pixel density is lacking (I’d be going from 26mp at 900mm to 20mp at 600mm...). The R lacks controls/shoots slowly, and the RP is not useful for birds.

It just struck me - I can get a used 80d for 540UK pounds.....such good value. It will attach natively to my two super tele lenses, and import flawlessly to lightroom with a nice bayer sensor, and Canon colours which I miss. Basically, i was reviewing images, and my old t7i images were so amazing, I have not enjoyed my output as much since moving to Fuji. I love the ergonomics, but the output I’ve not enjoyed as much. Ive decided to prioritise output.

So if i loved my 800d/t7i images, but hated the VF, lack of controls and AF customisation, the 80d actually might work well?

Do you agree the 80d can work for wildlife and birds?   Or, should I sell up for an R6, practice fieldcraft, and just get close to my subject?

I note my XT3 is MUCH better at tracking than my t7i, but does take a touch longer to lock on. I would hope though a customised 80d would be better?   Note i won’t consider a 7dii as i already have low light noise issues with my XT3 which is a BSI sensor, so the 7dii wouldn’t cut it.

One area the R6 would help, is low light!   80d or sell up for R6?

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +3 more
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D / Kiss X9i Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow