I had the R3 in my hands today

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Niccynicc New Member • Posts: 6
I had the R3 in my hands today

Today I visited the Photo Days fair in Brussels and the Canon booth had 4 R3s at the try-out desk available for visitors. You could take pictures but not take out or replace the memory card with your own (card slot taped). Here are a few impressions from my hands-on:

• It's fast!
  • Excellent EVF.
  • Build quality is top notch, I like the feel of the new material on the grips
  • Eye control AF calibration took less than a minute and worked really well for me, even with glasses. Not something I would use all the time though, sometimes you want to keep the AF point fixed and not move it accidentally.
  • Much more flexibility in the AF options compared to the other R models. For example you can have subject detection on also with single point or spot AF. Overall I had the impression that you get a much more flexible AF system that adapts more easily to the situation, without needing to change AF modes.
  • I searched through all menus, there does not appear to be an option to have touch-and-drag for moving the AF point. You have two use the joystick or the smart controller built into the AF-ON button. Or your eye, of course.
  • I noticed a couple of menu options I had not seen in the other R models: AE microadjustment and FE microadjustment. No AF microadjustment, though.
  • Hard to give meaningful conclusions on image quality by verifying images in-camera only, in any case I did not notice any red flags.

The fair is still on this weekend. The Canon reps were telling it is the first time they are giving the R3 in the hands of the public. The R3s were labeled as samples and they told they have not seen a manual yet. Firmware in camera was marked 1.0.0.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow