Full Frame for simple or basic photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 14,102
Full Frame for simple or basic photography

I have been shooting with APS-C and MFT cameras since my return to photography 8 years ago. My experience with the two sensors has taught me about the differences between sensor sizes and where they are  important and where they aren't.   Over the last few years my thoughts have been turning toward trying a larger sensor for my walkaround photography.

In a hypothetical perfect world I might very well skip FF all together and add a medium format Fuji, thereby keeping the shooting experience and jpeg output I love best. But the financial barriers to that are formidable, and the cameras are very large. Not sure how much trouble the latter would be, but the former is nearly insurmountable.

So that leaves FF. I have no idea where to start looking. It looks like there are no options south of a Leica that offer an interesting shooting experience, so it's back to dual control wheels.  I can live with that.

My problem is that my shooting style is very simple and I don't know how to start a list of cameras that will be a good match for that. Most of the features that get all the space in reviews don't interest me at all and are irrelevant to my decision-making.  I shoot jpeg only, single shot only, center focus point only. No continuous focus, no burst. I dont need eye recognition. I prefer not to use a touch screen.

Features I do require are: the best viewfinder possible, excellent jpeg output with lots of options for managing it in the deep settings,  an exposure compensation dial, preferably dedicated and marked, Manual+ Auto ISO, ability to use exposure compensation with Manual+Auto ISO.

Anybody have any cameras to recommend? Older models are great. I am very open to buying used. The final decision ( if any) will be based on ergonomics and the availability of one or two excellent basic slow primes, but I'd love to have some places to start looking.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
rsn
rsn
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow