9m2: choosing a high-res next step (7Rm4 vs 7m4)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thiefofpresence
thiefofpresence Contributing Member • Posts: 940
9m2: choosing a high-res next step (7Rm4 vs 7m4)

Convention would have it that after a A9m2, to add higher-than-24mp resolution to the mix, the only camera to move up to would be A1.

I'm not going to solicit sympathy for this good problem to have, but frankly, the number of times I use 20 fps and the enormous buffer are not quite inspiring enough for the money that has to be shelled out to sell my A9m2 and buy the enormously expensive A1.

So, the question amounts to, would either of these options be satisfying to a A9m2 owner looking for near (or greater than) 24mp APS-C mode options on his lens system:

• A7Rm4
  • (new) A7m4

The main thing I don't want to be disappointed with is autofocus. Needless to say, the 9m2 has spoiled me in this regard.

But perhaps I should be clear in this regard, I am talking about acquisition speed. Much of the value of A9m2 and A1 is its ability to keep acquisition up to the pace of their high frame rates for long buffered runs of shots. But As I said, It might be conceivable for me to live with 10fps on far smaller bursts, as infrequently as I photograph extreme action.

Will the difference in ages translate into the new 7m4 outperforming the 7Rm4 with updated algorithms running on newer/faster hardware?

Or was the 7Rm4 faithfully updated over the last couple of years so that its AF performance feels up to date.

I am looking for that instantaneous and sticky eye-AF that is being shown off in all the flagship cameras lately (including the one I have).

Any advice and experience with the 7Rm4 is appreciated.

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/thiefofpresence
Sony A9ii | FE 20/1.8 G; FE 35/1.4 GM; Sigma 85/1.4 Art | Leica Elmarit 28 ASPH; FE 40/2.8 G; Sigma 90/2.8 C | Sigma 24-70/2.8 Art; Tamron 70-180/2.8 | FE 200-600 G; Sigma 100-400 OS | Sigma 28-70/2.8 C; Tamron 28-200

thiefofpresence's gear list:thiefofpresence's gear list
Sony a9 II Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN +8 more
Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow