Looking for tips on how this shot of Manhattan was created.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JBigham New Member • Posts: 5
Looking for tips on how this shot of Manhattan was created.

Looking for advice on how to recreate this photo (if this is your work, kudos.. it's outstanding!) that was taken in Manhattan. We are traveling to NYC in December and my daughter wants to take something similar for herself to hang in her room on canvas.

I know it was taken atop Rockefeller Center but I have questions..

1. Can a common person get to the level where this was taken? I've looked all through google images and everything seems to be on the lower level (bottom right corner of image)

2 Can a single wide angle image create this? I don't think so because the compression won't be the same. Shooting ~12MM might get the left and right edges of this image but the Empire State Bldg will feel miles away.

3. Assuming No. 2 is a "no".. what's the focal length? I'm hoping to take just my D780 / 24-70 combo on the trip. Can she just zoom to 70, use the same settings for each photo and shoot a pano of about 30 images and achieve this after stitching & crop? Is the focal length even longer than I think?... 200 mm?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow