Traveling light and with few lenses

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hjulenissen Senior Member • Posts: 2,375
Traveling light and with few lenses

This is a recurring theme. I buy lenses (typically used), and then they stay at home or in the bag. Because I am "just on a small trip". Or because swapping lenses all the time in a blizzard is silly and distracting.

I guess that a "super zoom" would be many peoples choice as a all-in-one lense, but it feels bad to have a great, compact camera and use a lens that is either a bunch of compromises optically, and/or really large and heavy. I used to own a good Canon 70-200 ISL, but I never found good use for it.

My Samyang 135mm f/2.0 is good optically, but the lack of AF limits its use for e.g. fast dog and kids with large aperture (where it would excel) for low light or when aesthetics require low DoF. I like the images of my Samyang 35mm f/1.4, but it is just a tad bit (front-) heavy. Thus I use my Sony 55mm f/1.8 a lot. Reasonable IQ, large-ish aperture, super light and small. I have a 15mm f/2.0 and a 24 mm tilt-shift that are both interesting for special purposes, but hardly every day lenses.

Thus I propose the two lenses that I could perhaps get by with. One is a recently released, expensive 35mm with large aperture and moderate size/weight that I could use as a walk around lens. The other is a compromise near-macro/portrait lens that I wish someone would make.

* Sony 35mm f/1.4 GM (524g)

* 105 or 135mm f/2.0 IS 1:2 Macro (800g?)

plus the 650g of my camera.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow