Independent Lady

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SteveS58 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,281
Independent Lady

I was having a discussion with another photographer tonight about how a photographer's worst nightmare would be to lose their vision. I had a scary episode 6 weeks ago where all of a sudden I was experiencing a large floater that appeared out of nowhere in my right eye. Because this is a possible sign of a detached retina, I went to a local hospital's emergency room and spent the night there being diagnosed. It turned out that I have pvd (posterior vitreous detachment) which is a common aging symptom in people over 50 and generally nothing to worry about.

With that in my subconscious, I was walking in Soho this afternoon and happened to pass a blind woman walking on Broadway, maneuvering down a pedestrian filled street. I took her photo and then watched as she approached the corner, quickly turned 90 degrees, and waited to cross the street. I was amazed that she was walking alone and only with the assistance of her guide stick, but in a choreographed manner. And I thought to myself, this is a profile in courage and determination.

Steve

Independent Lady

-- hide signature --

Steve Schulman
Steve Schulman Photography

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow