Was hoping the A7 IV would be my B-Cam for the A1, but not so sure anymore....

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
syrcular Regular Member • Posts: 207
Was hoping the A7 IV would be my B-Cam for the A1, but not so sure anymore....

I was really considering (before the announcement today) looking at the A7 IV as a possible B-Camera for my A1. I currently have the A7sIII as my B-Camera because I wanted to keep consistent menu systems, and because most of the photography work I do goes to social media and medium size print and the rest is video work for me. On the photography side I do portraits, travel, event and documentary. The A1 has been a godsend for my doc and event work. So has the A7sIII. I was dissapointed with two aspects of the A7 IV that make me think it might be a deal breaker.

1. The A7 IV can only do a burst rate of 10fps with JPEGS and Compressed RAW. This was not the case with any past A7 series cameras to my knowledge, so I'm surprised, that Sony prioritized resolution and image quality to sacrifice burst rate. But what makes it worse is that when you shoot uncompressed RAW, the frame rates go down to 5-6fps. That to me is a no go, considering how much power and speed I have already. The Canon R6, and the Nikon Z6 II have better burst rates and full uncompressed RAW, so I'm bummed they made that decision. I'm totally fine with 10fps but with all the flavors of compressed and uncompressed, would be better. So I'm trying to wrap my head around that. Unexpected.

2. The second issue is the 4K 60p at only super 35 crop. I kinda get why they would do that, but with the Canon R6 having the ability to do 4K 60p in full frame, you'd think they would want to stay competitive, but I suspect the reason is to sustain A7sIII sales. And you know what...for that reason I'm probably keeping my A7sIII, so I guess that makes business sense. Just a little disappointing.

3. I know I'll probably get grief for this, but I feel like given these two big issues when you compare it to the competition, I don't feel like $2500 is justified. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of stuff that they got right, and it's probably safe to say that when I upgraded from A7 III to the A7rIII and eventually the A1, I probably went into a different market segment than where this camera sits, but I know a lot of people that were waiting for 4K 60p full frame and also sustaining the ability to shoot uncompressed RAW at 10fps.

I'm still undecided as to whether to go with this camera as a B-camera as I have to look at more hands on reviews and perhaps get the camera into my hands at some point too for testing, but can't help but be a little disappointed, but at the same time kinda excited at the possibility of getting some of these cool features introduced in the A7 IV over to the A1 and maybe even the A7sIII.

Thoughts from other A1 users? I know we're spoiled, but curious if others considered this as a B-cam possiblity?

Canon EOS R6 Nikon Z6 II Sony a1 Sony a7 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow